Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Talking with God

I read a lot about God and his plans for us during our human lifetime.  It's almost been a year since my last drink of alcohol and my mind is finally getting clear.  I won't lie to you, it's been a tough year, but in many ways one of the most rewarding years of my life.  I have been through countless personal challenges this past year.  I have grown close to God and he has made those challenges bearable.  In fact, I feel I have grown up a lot in my personal relationship with God.

The reading that I am sharing with you today, comes from the 27th day in the book, "The Purpose Driven Life".  Quoting, " Don't carelessly place yourself in tempting situations.  Avoid them.  Remember that is is easier to stay out of temptaion than to get out of it.  The Bible say, "Don't be so naive and self-confident.  You're not exempt.  You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else.  Forget about self-confidence; it's useless.  Cultivate God-confidence.""  1st Corinthians 10:12

That's pretty powerful stuff.  We always talk about building our self-confidence.  It's all over our culture.  It's so powerful in our culture that this a new idea for me.  Never thought of it this way.  An integral part of the 12 steps of AA is to turn over our lives to a "higher power".  The Big Book is quite clear in saying that without your "higher power", you will not beat your addiction. 

Turning your life over to God, builds God-confidence.  You begin to trust God and understand that he will help you defeat whatever tempations that you deal with.  This goes much deeper than alcohol.  It touches all the temptations that we deal with as Christians.

You may ask, how do you get that God-confidence.  The only way for me is to pray.  I don't mean cliche type prayers that you may have memorized.  Talk to God and tell him your fears and tempations and to pray for his help in turning those tempations away from you.  Lots of times we get caught up in the habit of praying a common prayer or repeating something that we have heard someone else pray.  Make prayer your conversation with God.  

God doesn't care if you stumble with words during a prayer.  He just wants you to confess to him your fears and ask for his help. 

I like to put music to my thoughts and George Stait's song; "Love without End, Amen" came to mind.  I hope you enjoy it.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment